Hot Weather Update–Mon June 28
6/28/2021 7:22 AM
Weather forecasters predict today will be hotter than yesterday and likely to set new records for high temperatures, the highest ever experienced in the Puget Sound area, including Vashon. Vashon will hit a high of well over 100 degrees with the National Weather Service suggesting the possibility of a high temperature on Vashon of 112 degrees.
Three air conditioned cooling center locations are available today on Vashon, open from 10:00am to 6:00pm. Masks and social distancing are required. Here are the three locations...
- Vashon Library, in town at 17210 Vashon Highway, at Ober Park.
In addition, VashonBePrepared has arranged for two more cooling centers where free water or soft drinks are being provided.
- The lobby of Vashon Center for the Arts, south of town at 19600 Vashon Highway at the intersection with Cemetery Road.
- Subway restaurant, in town at 17408 Vashon Highway one block north of the intersection with Bank Road.
If you need transportation to reach the cooling centers, arrange a trip by contacting Vashon Community Van at 206-263-5901 or email email@example.com, or go online to:
In addition to the cooling centers, here are some heat safety tips from Public Health -- Seattle & King County and VashonBePrepared....
- Minimize physical exertion and do outdoor activities during the cooler morning hours.
- Stay in the shade and keep sipping a cool non-alcoholic drink. Water is best.
- Don't leave people or pets in the car, even with the windows rolled down.
- Wear light, loose, breathable clothing, preferably cotton.
- Check on others, to spot and respond to any signs of heat illness, such as nausea and confusion, dry hot flushed skin, and rapid pulse.
- Practice water safety by using personal flotation devices, and remember the sunscreen.