Vashon COVID-19 Accomplishments
6/25/2021 4:48 PM
· VashonBePrepared's Emergency Operations Center was activated 67 weeks ago (471 days) to respond to what became a global pandemic.
· Our emergency response team with the help of many Island and County partners achieved remarkable results to help communicate, support, and assist Vashonites.
· Based on Public Health –Seattle & King County’s dashboard, Vashon had 121 residents test positive for the COVID-19 virus. That is 11.2 cases per 1,000 residents, compared to the county-wide cases of 49.6 per 1,000.
· MRC/CERT/VBP testing center performed 3,571 COVID-19 tests, this was 38% of all tests for Vashon residents. The program identified 80 of 121 reported cases on Vashon, about half of which occurred during winter's 3rd wave.
· The MRC took the lead in contact tracing. They traced 42 case clusters on the island, identifying 178 contacts and 47 additional cases among contacts.
· Unfortunately, Vashon did record 3 deaths, for a rate of 0.3 per 1,000 residents, less than half the 0.7 rate for the county overall.
· Vashon has the highest vaccination rate in the county for 12-year-old and older residents that received at least one dose, at 91% versus the county average of 77.9%. Residents that completed the vaccination series are at 78.7% compared to the county average of 71%.
· Working with Vashon Pharmacy, MRC/CERT/VBP administered over 10,000 doses of SARS-CoV2 vaccine. That works out to 62% of all first and second doses for residents were handled by the Pharmacy/MRC program.
· The Ask an Expert program assisted over 400residents with unemployment benefits and handled 1,600 telephone consultations.
· Through last week, volunteers have contributed over 31,500 hours to the response effort, which is more than $1 million worth of in-kind value based on the FEMA reimbursement grant rate. Actual volunteerism on the Island was much more as this does not include our island partners which track their time separately.
· Through the generous contributions of Island residents, the Vashon Relief Fund received donations exceeding $456,000.
· Vashon Relief Fund distributions, just under $536,000, supported the testing and vaccination programs, and numerous outreach and communications efforts. The Fund contributed directly to support programs for food, housing and social services. Working with the Federal and State CARES Act some of the Fund distributions were reimbursed, allowing even more funding to support community needs.